The American Dream Meets Gypsies Tramps and Thieves


How lucky was I recently to be at a second-hand children's clothing store to witness first hand someone taking their first step in the their version of the American Dream, even though for many it would seem a nightmare.

This woman has dreamed of becoming a Cher impersonator. That's right a woman who wants to be a Cher impersonator, not a man. We heard she would be at this clothing store, so we thought we'd stop by. It was just weird enough to make it worth going out on a sleety New Hampshire night. So we get into this store and someone had laid out a tray with brie, wine and boxed chocolate chip cookies.

In the front I see some tweens I know, and they're giggling and turning red. Then I look up and see a woman - a rather short woman - with a long, black straight wig. She's wearing purple harem pants, a gauzy lavender top and spiders-have-dropped-dead on my eylids, false lashes.

With absoluely no word of explanation or stage patter, the woman began to sing. Scratch that. She began to lip sync "Gypsies Tramps and Thieves." It was, in a word, weird.

I didn't want to laugh or roll my eyes, so I shopped, pretended to be wildly interested in camo Doc Martins. I could see shoppers who had just entered the store and snicker. I could see people watching out of politeness and looking madly uncomfortable.

And it occurred to me that this woman had enormous courage and while everyone else was busy snickering and feeling embarrassed for her, she was busy putting herself out there and doing something about her desires, no matter how strange they seemed to others For that day, the Sher lip syncer was my hero.

2 comments:

the teacher's pets said...

I admire a person who is willing to pursue their dream no matter what the cost: embarrassment, rejection, laughter, etc. I would've been right there with you in the consignment store to cheer "Cher" on to her life of semi-stardom. If you haven't thought of it already, you may have brightened her day by just being there and by restraining your laughter when others around you were snickering. Going to the store was an act of bravery on your part and I'm sure "Cher" appreciated your support.

Stacy American Dream Girl said...

Thanks. What a nice comment. I often feel the bravest thing we can do some days is get out of bed in the morning.

 

Made by Lena